Cardio exercises to burn calories, so what does that mean? Well there are 2 forms of cardio that you need to know about.
One is the Slow & Steady (S&S) and the other is High Intensity Cardio (HIC). High Intensity Cardio can be exercises that combine with short forms of cardio to keep those calories burning, otherwise known as Circuit Training. My favourite!!!
The famous Michael Healey wrote a guest post on Circuit training to lose weight. Hope you like it.
You can get really creative with HIC. Your main objection here is to be constantly moving for 20 – 30 minutes.
For example: Sprint for 30 sec, Jump Rope for 1 minute, Bodyweight Squats for 1 minute, then Bike at 80% of your max speed for 5 minutes, Rest for 1min (NO MORE THAN THAT) then repeat.
I wrote about how effective outdoor workouts are and these are perfect for HIC training.
Be sure to keep a journal or a t least document what your doing so you can track your results.
S&S (Slow & Steady) Cardio Exercises to Burn Calories
- Long duration (45min – 1 hour)
- Low intensity
- Preserve joints
HIC: High Intensity Cardio Exercises to Burn Calories
- Short duration (20min – 30min)
- High intensity (interval training, sprints, circuit training)
- Burn mega- tons of calories & revs up your metabolism through the day
- Treat cardio similar to weight training – explosive movements (sprinting, etc.)
10 Cardio Workouts to Burn Calories in 30 minutes.
1. Step Aerobics – The ladies love this workout because it targets the big 3 -> thighs, butt and mid section.
2. Bicycling – Stationary or outdoor biking whether leisurely or for speed and endurance (such as in the mountains) are a great cardio benefit. Usually reserved for people with lower body injuries.
3. Swimming – Recommended all over the world as a heart healthy and cardiovascular exercise.
4. Racquetball – Combines short sharp sprints and lateral side to side movements. Again its heart healthy but you must be injury free.
Professional Racquetball players are super fit and if your familiar with the Beep Test iv heard stories of some pro’s going through the entire program 3 times back to back!!
5. Rock Climbing – We know what these people look like, physical weapons right? It works arms, legs, butt and chest, all while keeping an increased and sustained heart rate.
6. Cross-Country Skiing – If you’re close to the snow then get into this. It’s more of a challenge than running or biking and CC Skiers are some of the fittest people on the planet.
7. Running – Anyone can do this. Can be on a treadmill or outside, either way you’ll increase your fitness and shed some calories. You must be injury of coarse but if your prone to lower body image stick low impact cardio
8. Elliptical Trainer – Full body indoor cardio workout with minimal impact on joints. Big fan of the ladies as it does target the glutes and thighs.
9. Rowing – If you think your fit then jump on a rower, I guarantee it’ll take you down a peg or 2. Low impact and an amazing calorie killer.
10. Walking / Hiking – Usually reserved for the older generation or people trying to break into exercise. If this is the only exercise you can do then do it! BUT if you want to burn fat chose another form of cardio.
If your saying, “James, I need a cardio workout to burn calories” then iv done my job and given you plenty of choices. It’s up to what you enjoy and what you can physically do.
HARD FACT ON ITS WAY.
The thing with slow cardio is that not ALL of these exercises will help you lose weight.
They will all help to improve your fitness and give you more energy there is no doubt, but weight loss is a different story.
Do you think that sprinter get that ripped body from doing slow cardio?
Hell no! Every single one of their sessions are HIC orientated.
If you’re really serious about killing those calories then its High Intensity all the way.
High Intensity/Interval (My favourite)
1. Jumping Rope – Total body workout and super effective. Let me ask you, how fit & lean do boxers look?
2. Sprinting – Sprinting not only burns HUGE amounts of calories, it also keeps your metabolism flying for days after. Burning calories while you watch TV = AWESOME!
Sprinting alternated with running or jogging will bring kick ass results. Read Burn Belly Fat with HIIT to learn more about high intensity training.
You’re looking for a cardio workout to burn calories right? If your looking at low impact cardio to improve your fitness then you know what’s out there, but If you want to shed the pounds then you know what I recommend.
Let me know how you go.
Powered by Facebook Comments